Monday, September 21, 2009

GM Games


Recently I've been looking over some GM level games, in fact quite a few of them and trying absorb a bit from the moves. I've been going over Fischer's games as well as Botvinnik from Kasparov's "My Great Predessors" series.

In that vein I have been trying to create a disipline and with any luck, a love of deeper analysis. For now I only have the patientce to look at several games in a short period of time. I'm hoping that I begin to enjoy looking at the sub-lines and other ideas presented in the annontation. For now I don't look at many of them. Reason being that as I look at the long tangent line I don't really understand what is going on enough to get a whole lot out of it.

I am especially interested in looking at games that are played in similar openings to my own repertoire since they tend to have ideas that may come up in my own contests, as well as leading to similar middle and endgames.

One thing that has stood out in Bobby Fischer's games seems to be his sublime understanding of the position in comparison to all of his competition. It seems that even when his opponent gets a good initiative or advantage on him he is able to flip the game around and take control.

Well just a few quick thoughts, and I am really considering playing in the Far West Open!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Chris, I don't think that is the correct approach. Going over Master Games is a good idea, but it shouldn't matter whether or not it fits into your opening repertoire. I often go over Master Games, some of which have nothing to do with my Opening choices.

    The things to look for are how good is the Master Game you're looking at, in other words, is it a good example of some tactic or technique, such as: The Bishop Pair, The Endgame (perhaps it's Bishop vs. Knight, and the Bishop has the extra pawn), look for the STUFF inside the game, otherwise, it's just a boring game that anyone might have played.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chris, I should correct myself and say "Some of them, meaning games do not have anything to do with my Opening Repertoire.

    Also, and this is very important, if you cannot find the STUFF inside the Game itself, then take notes on the STUFF in the notes--how the game could have gone.

    In this way, you impress upon your mind some of the technique and tactics being used. The more you do this, the better you will become, taking into accound your natural talent plus the time you have available. And you have to play, theory alone cannot do it.

    ReplyDelete